5T: American Legion Party to Aid Woburn Family
Read our daily column featuring news, weather and Woburn history.
Here are five things you need to know today in Woburn:
1) Food relationships
For many people, food is a complex entity. Sure, it's fuel for the body. But many times, it also provides comfort, stress relief and other emotional supports. At Get In Shape for Women, licensed social worker Karen Capraro will speak to women about developing a good relationship with food and eating mindfully. Seminar begins at 7 p.m. Click here for more info on attending.
2) Help a Woburnite in need
Want a Friday night out on the town? Head over to the American Legion tonight for a party in honor of Frances Gunning. Frances has been batting cancer for six years, but only has a short time left, according to her doctors. Her family is holding the fundraiser tonight to help raise money for Frances' funeral. If you can help or want to attend, click here for more info.
3) Falling temperatures
According to the National Weather Service's specialized forecast just for Woburn, temperatures will be falling in the city today. Expect a high of about 55 degrees for both Friday and Saturday. Sunday, it'll likely warm up to mid-60s, says the NWS.
4) In case you missed it
Popular coffee stop Starbucks voluntarily recalled the peanut butter in its Protein Bistro Boxes. While the boxes are still on sale, check the dates in this story... If they match the pb in your Bistro Box, throw it out.
5) Headlines in history
Let's take a walk through Woburn's history, shall we? Some headlines in newspapers regarding Oct. 12 events in Woburn were:
- 1908—Dog Catcher is Surprised—A surprise party is held for Michael Callahan, the city's official dog catcher.
- 1923—Woburn Child's Leg Fractured By Auto—A 5-year-old Montvale Avenue girl was injured in a pedestrian accident.
- 1926—Hurt In Fall From Building In Woburn—A Stoneham man was badly injured after falling from a Woburn building.
- 1936—Boy Fatally Shot In Woburn Mishap—Salvatore Badanza, 15, was killed.
- 1949—Woburn Recount May Be Asked in Aldermanic Contest—A recount requested in the at-large race.