5T: Friday Night Lights in Woburn And More
Read our daily column featuring news, weather and Woburn history.
Here are five things you need to know today in Woburn:
1) Friday Night Lights
It's Friday Night Lights at Woburn Memorial High School tonight! Stop by WMHS's Connolly Field at 7 p.m. to watch the boys' varsity football team take on the Wilmington High School Wildcats. The girls' varsity volleyball team is also in action tonight at 4 p.m. at WMHS.
2) Save the date!
Don't forget, the Lion's Halloween Parade is coming up! The 58th Annual Woburn Host Lions Halloween Parade will be held on Sunday, Oct. 28 no matter what the weather. Remember the snowy parade last year? For more info on the parade, check out the brand new Lions' website.
3) I can see clearly now...
The rain is gone! According to the National Weather Service, we will finally see that golden orb of sunshiney goodness today. Expect sunny skies and temperatures in the high-70s. Enjoy it after all that rain this week!
4) In case you missed it
We heard from Melissa's Bill founder Les Gosule yesterday. Gosule had spearheaded the charge to pass Melissa's Bill after a violent offender on parole killed his daughter. He wrote a heartfelt letter to the editor about his relationship with State Rep. Jim Dwyer. Read it here!
5) Headlines in history
Let's take a walk through Woburn's history, shall we? Some headlines in newspapers regarding Oct. 5 events in Woburn were:
- 1892—Gay Woburn—A story on Woburn celebrating its incorporation anniversary.
- 1909—Takes Woburn Post—George Hill Evans of Brooklyn, NY takes the librarian job in Woburn.
- 1926—Two Are Injured In Collision In Woburn—A car accident on Winn Street injures two.
- 1929—Watertown Ruins Woburn Dedication—Watertown beat Woburn 26-0 on the new high school field, which was dedicated that night with a parade.
- 1936—Woman Found Dwelling In a Shack, 'Good Neighbors' Build Her a 'Palace'—A 66-year-old woman who was living in a shack moves into a Woburn "palace" (a two-room home).