5T: Hurricane Sandy Forecast and More
Check in with your daily dose of Woburn information, including news, weather and history notes!
Here are five things you need to know today in Woburn:
1) There's this little weather event...
You might have heard of it. Hurricane Sandy? Looks like we are going to catch some rain and wind from the storm, if not more. Keep up with what's going on by checking in with Woburn Patch's Storm Central here.
2) Not sure about where to vote?
Don't worry, we can help you there! Visit this page on the city of Woburn's official website. All you need to do is enter your address and voila! Your polling place will be listed.
3) Rain, rain, rain! And wind.
According to the National Weather Service's specialized forecast just for Woburn, today will see loads of rain in our city. The NWS is expecting rain all day and night, with heavier rain showers coming in tonight. Temperatures will be in the high-50s. Watch out for the wind, as Hurricane Sandy will hit us with 22 to 27 mph winds early, then gust up to 28 to 33 or even 55 mph in the afternoon.
4) In case you missed it
The weekly round-up of Woburn Police news is here. Find out whatever you missed in WPD news from the last week, including a meatloaf dinner interrupted, a thrown pumpkin and a mom laying down the law.
5) Headlines in history
Let's take a walk through Woburn's history, shall we? Some headlines in newspapers regarding Oct. 29 events in Woburn were:
- 1888—Early in the Century—Oldest resident, George Wyer, born in 1796, celebrates 92nd birthday.
- 1906—Shot Entered Side—Sturgis Street 16-year-old suffers gunshot wound.
- 1921—Woburn Win Clinches Title—Tanners win fourth straight to clinch football title.
- 1921—Police Get Clew To Missing Bride—The Woburn woman who went missing after her wedding is believed to be in New York. A previous story on this incident was in last week's Headlines in History.
- 1932—State Elks Elect Woburn Man Head—Mr. McCarron chosen president.