5T: North Woburn Condo Project To Be Discussed
Check in with our daily column filled with news, history, events and more!
Here are five things you need to know today in Woburn:
1) N. Woburn project on agenda
The Alzheimer's housing and condominium project on Main Street in North Woburn will be discussed at tonight's Conservation Commission meeting. According to the agenda, the Notice of Intent for the project at 859 Main St. is the topic of discussion. Land parcels on Cambridge Road and Merrimac Street are also on the agenda.
2) Live music
The McMurphy's will be performing at the Sea Dog Brew Pub tonight at 7 p.m.
3) More rain
According to the National Weather Service's specialized forecast just for Woburn, although we saw our first snow flakes yesterday, we'll just have more rain today. The NWS is forecasting rain until about 3 p.m. today with temperatures in the mid-40s. Expect some wind gusts up to 36 miles per hour during the day.
4) In case you missed it
There was quite a bit of discussion on the site yesterday, as parents and residents talked about the pros and cons of allowing schools to remain open while the buildings are used for voting. What do you think? Should Woburn schools be open on election days?
5) Headlines in history
Let's take a walk through Woburn's history, shall we? Some headlines in newspapers regarding Nov. 7 events in Woburn were:
- 1904—Woburn—An election with "little interest" still got voters, thanks to "ideal weather." The paper reported, "The usual Republican plurality was expected."
- 1926—Woburn Brothers Held After Fight—Report states the men were charged with assaulting an officer at a dance.
- 1937—Wreck Ties Up Rails in Woburn 21 Hours—17 freight cars derailed near the North Woburn Junction, causing a 21-hour delay.
- 1941—Woburn Smothers Watertown, 20-0—Game played at high school field.
- 1991—Police Foil Bikers' Rumble, 5 Face Charges in Woburn Sweep—Over 35 people questioned as police anticipated altercation between Hell's Angels and Devil's Disciples.