5T: WMHS Junior Designs Lions Halloween Parade Poster
So much stuff to know today in Woburn, including a 1909 mention of Shrek?
Here are five things you need to know today in Woburn:
1) Lions' parade poster
This year's Lions' Halloween Parade poster is bright, vibrant and, frankly, adorable. It was the work of Woburn Memorial High School junior Alanna Buckley, pictured here with Lions' Club member Leo Thifault. The poster is up all over town advertising the famous parade, which will be held Oct. 28.
2) Students' rights
The city's Special Education Parent Advisory Council will hold a "Basic Rights" Workshop tonight at 7 p.m. at the Joyce Middle School. According to organizers, the workshop "outlines the special education process from evaluation and determination of eligibility for services through writing an individualized education program (IEP) or 504 plan and what to do if you have concerns about your child's progress under their current plan."
3) A good day
According to the National Weather Service's specialized forecast just for Woburn, it's going to be a good weather day. The NWS expects sunshine and temps in the 60s. The night will get a little cloudy, as rain moves in for Friday, but enjoy the sunshine while you can today!
4) In case you missed it
5) Headlines in history
Let's take a walk through Woburn's history, shall we? Some headlines in newspapers regarding Oct. 17 events in Woburn were:
- 1909—Balloon Sails Through Snowstorms—We're not sure what this is about!
- 1909—Shreck Far The Better—Wha? Shreck? Like the movie?
- 1926—Sammy Fuller Beats Sheppard in Hub—Johnny Sheppard of Woburn loses a 10-round featherweight match to Sammy Fuller in Boston.
- 1930—Woburn Outbids Peabody and Gets Coach Barry—Football news.
- 1955—Woburn Edges Reading, 22-19—Football at Connolly Stadium.