Five Things You Need to Know Today, Dec. 20
The Restaurant and The Bar hold holiday toy drive tonight.
Here are five things you need to know today:
1) Frosty air: If you thought yesterday was cold… Well, today is going to be downright chilly. The National Weather Service is reporting that temperatures will only hit about 36 degrees. Expect some winds, too, as the NWS says we could have gusts up to 26 miles per hour.
2) Ski Trip postponed: The Joyce Middle School ski trip planned for tomorrow, Wednesday, Dec. 21, has been postponed due to lack of snow! The trip is now scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 9. Mr. Guffey will send more details home to parents soon.
3) Event spotlight: To get into the holiday spirit, head over to The Restaurant and The Bar on Main Street for the first-ever open Holiday Celebration and Toy Event. Peter Mamakos and his fantastic staff will be collecting new and unwrapped toys, which will be distributed to children in need through Woburn charities. In return, you get a free raffle ticket and a chance to enjoy free hors d’oeuvres and cocktails (ID required) at The Bar, located inside The Restaurant. The fun begins at 6 p.m. tonight.
4) In case you missed it: Woburn resident John Flaherty was highlighted in our Patch People column yesterday for his philanthropy to the city of Woburn. Flaherty and his family are donating all the money needed for the new veterans memorial at the Common. Read all about it here.
5) Bienvenue!: On this day in 1803, the French handed over New Orleans and Lower Louisiana to the United States. The Orleans Territory was settled with many French Europeans, who created a sort of France in America settlement. The French slowly assimilated to American ways and laws, and eight years later, asked to be accepted as part of the United States. The petition was approved, making these former French citizens Americans.
To find out what is going on today in Woburn, check out our events listings.