Five Things You Need To Know Today, Dec. 30
Wake to be held for Officer Maguire today.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the new feature in the comments section.
Today is Thursday, Dec. 30. Here are five things you need to know:
1. Another heatwave: Temperatures are expected to reach the 40s today and skies will be clear, according to the National Weather Service. With that kind of weather, it will feel almost like November.
2. Honor Officer Maguire: The visiting hours for slain Woburn Police Officer John "Jack" Maguire will be held today from 3 to 8 p.m. at the McLaughlin-DelloRusso Funeral Home on Pleasant Street. Police officers are expected to honor their law enforcement brother outside the funeral home.
3. City Hall, Library pay respects to Officer Maguire: The Woburn Public Library is closing its doors at noon today, and will remain closed Friday, out of respect for Officer Maguire. City Hall will close at 3 p.m. Both buildings will reopen on Monday, Jan. 3, after the New Year's holiday.
4. Party like it's 2011: The Woburn License Commission recently approved several requests for extended hours tomorrow on New Year's Eve, Dec. 31. Polcari's restaurant, the St. Anthony's Club of North Woburn, the Sons of Italy, the Irish-American Club and the Woburn Elks Lodge will all be allowed to serve alcohol until 1 a.m. Doors will close at all locations at 1:30 a.m.
5. And I say hello: On this day in 1967, the Beatles' single "Hello Goodbye" went to number one on the Billboard music charts and stayed there for three weeks. Exactly three years later, on Dec. 30, 1970, Paul McCartney filed legal proceedings to officially dissolve the British supergroup. Do you know what the B side to Hello Goodbye was? Check our Facebook or Twitter account at 2 p.m. to find out!