Five Things You Need To Know Today, Feb. 1
Weather forecasters expect spring-like temperatures today.
Here are five things you need to know today:
1) Give ‘em a second chance: OK, so the National Weather Service said Tuesday was going to be snowy… and rainy… and cloudy… and it was sunny. But let’s give them another chance, they’re usually spot on! Today’s forecast calls for scattered showers before 3 p.m. and a high near 53 degrees! But that still won’t be enough to break our record high in Woburn—that’s 65 degrees and was set in 1989.
2) St. Charles open house: The St. Charles School will hold an open house this morning from 9 to 11 a.m. Another session will be held in March. In addition to an open house, registration opportunities will be available for the elementary school.
3) Event spotlight: The second Woburn “TweetUp” is tonight at Century Suites, 100 TradeCenter, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Featured speakers include Eric Anderson, who has over 100,000 tweets!, and Bobbie Carlton of Mass Innovation Nights and Carlton PR and Marketing. Learn about Twitter and how you can use the social network to… well… network!
4) In case you missed it: The mayor’s office has commissioned a study of police and fire operations in the city. The study will look into ways to consolidate services, make things more cost-efficient and possibly add to ambulance service provided by Woburn. Read all about the study here.
5) A star is born: On this day in 1887, the community of Hollywood is officially “born.” The land is purchased by Harvey Wilcox and is registered with the state of California as “Hollywood.” Wilcox, a prohibitionist and devout Christian, envisioned Hollywood as a sort of utopia free of vices and alcohol. Well, eventually, Hollywood would become part of Los Angeles and the motion picture industry would settle in. It’s not exactly Wilcox’s Hollywood, but it is a world famous place.
To find out what is going on today in Woburn, check out our events listings.