Five Things You Need To Know Today, Jan. 17
Honor Martin Luther King, Jr. during at two city events today.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Monday, Jan. 17. Here are five things you need to know:
- It’s freezing!: Well, it sure is cold out there. And we’re sorry to say, it’s probably not going to get any warmer today. The National Weather Service is forecasting sunny skies, but temperatures only in the high teens today. Bundle up!
- Holiday closings: Woburn City Hall and public schools are closed today in observance of the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. The city’s administrative offices will be closed today, and trash pick-up is delayed one day due to the holiday. Woburn Police and Fire departments will be open, as always.
- Honoring Dr. King: The city’s annual Martin Luther King, Jr. program will be held at noon today at the Woburn/Boston Hilton on Forbes Road. Former Ward 5 Alderman Paul Medeiros and St. John’s Baptist Church Board of Trustees President Stanley Swann will be honored with this year’s Drum Major awards at the event.
- Day of service: In honor of Dr. King, the Boys and Girls Club is hosting a “day of service” from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. today. Head on over to Charles Gardner Lane and find out how you can take part in one of many service projects around the city today.
- You got to know when to hold ‘em: Go ahead and finish it out with us… “Know when to fold ‘em. Know when to walk away, know when to run.” Now that we’ve had our little sing-along, let’s look at this day in history. On Jan. 17, 1983, Kenny Rogers won the Award of Merit and Favorite Country Male Artist at the 10th Annual American Music Awards. Other winners that year included Olivia Newton-John (Pop/Rock Female Artist), Kool & the Gang (Soul/R&B Band) and Lionel Ritchie, whose song “Truly” beat out Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder’s “Ebony and Ivory” and Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger” for Pop/Rock Single of the Year.
To find out what is going on today in Woburn, check out our events listings.