Five Things You Need To Know Today, Jan. 20
WMHS boys and girls' hockey take on Reading this weekend.
Here are five things you need to know today:
1) Sun today…: Snow tomorrow! Although we may have a dusting of snow on the lawn today, we’ll likely get an accumulation of snow on Saturday. According to the National Weather Service, today will be sunny with temps hovering around the freezing mark.
2) Hockey action: This weekend, both the boys and girls Woburn Memorial High School hockey teams will be in action. The boys will take on Reading at 6 p.m. in Reading. The girls’ game will follow in Reading at 8 p.m. Make sure to check them out, both teams are awesome!
3) Event spotlight: Shamrock School students, before you head out the door today, grab $1 and your lucky hat! It is Lucky Hat Day at the school! It’s also Patriots Pride Day, so wear your Pats gear or something red, white and blue.
4) In case you missed it: The city received a helping hand from the state for creating more recreation opportunities at Whispering Hill in Ward 7. Read all about it here.
5) Hostage crisis ends: On this day in 1980, the Iran Hostage Crisis ends. Just moments after Pres. Ronald Reagan was inaugurated, the 52 American hostages being held in Iran were released. The hostages were originally taken when militant Iranian students stormed the U.S. Embassy. Weeks later, the Ayatollah took over the situation, releasing non-U.S. captives, American women and American minorities. The remaining 52 hostages were held for 14 months.
To find out what is going on today in Woburn, check out our events listings.