Five Things You Need To Know Today, July 5
It's "Toenail Thursday." What does that mean? You have to read our column to find out!
Here are five things you need to know today:
1) More awesome weather: Another great day is on tap, according to Mother Nature. Temperatures will be in the high 80s today, with sunny skies, says the National Weather Service.
2) Trash delayed: Don't forget, the Fourth of July holiday has delayed trash pick-up by one day.
3) Event Spotlight: Today is Toenail Thursday for pooches! That's right, each Thursday, Petco offers a standing $3 coupon for all pups to get their toenails clipped. Don't forget to bring your dog's rabies certification, it's necessary so poochie doesn't have to wear a muzzle! Offer valid between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m.
4) In Case You Missed It: Our special editon of Five Things yesterday featured five funtastic facts about the Fourth of July. Try saying that three times fast! Click here to read them.
5) Say it ain't so, Joe: On this day in 1921, jury selection began in the trial of the infamous 1919 Chicago White Sox. Allegations abounded that White Sox players threw the World Series to benefit themselves and gamblers. Although the players—including Shoeless Joe Jackson, Eddie Cicotte and Buck Weaver—were acquitted by a jury, the Black Sox were banned from baseball by Commissioner Kennesaw Mountain Landis. Many believe that Jackson likely accepted money, but never played to throw the Series, while Buck Weaver didn't participate in the scandal at all. However, both men were banned with the rest of their teammates.
Want your event to be featured in Five Things? Upload it to our Calendar!