Five Things You Need To Know Today, June 19
Summer is here!
Here are five things you need to know today:
1) Oh, Summer, how we love thee: Not only is today the last day of school, it's also going to be a gorgeous summer day. The National Weather Service is forecasting a high temperature of 80 with mostly sunny skies. But it's just a tease of things to come...
2) School's out for summ-ah!: That's right, today is the last day of school for all Woburn Public Schools. It will be a half-day for all students with Woburn Memorial High School being dismissed at 11 a.m., middle schools at 11:30 a.m. and elementary schools at 12 p.m. Watch out for kids as they will be out on sidewalks and in yards a lot more now!
3) Event Spotlight: City Council will meet tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the City Hall Chambers. Several public hearings are on the agenda, including the question of whether a Montvale Road building should be deemed a "public nuisance."
4) In Case You Missed It: Three Woburn Police officers found themselves in a dangerous situation Sunday night, responding to a report of an assault and battery on Main Street. Two officers suffered injuries in the incident, as the man resisted arrest. Read all about it here.
5) Nickelodeon isn't just a TV channel: On this day in 1905, the very first "nickelodeon" opened in Pittsburgh. Over 400 people attended the opening night event. The concept of the nickelodeon was to offer live entertainment in a storefront theater for five cents. Many nickelodeon acts were vaudeville, or short one-minute films.
To find out what's going on today in Woburn, check out our events listings.