Five Things You Need To Know Today, June 5
A Woburn youngster shares a terrific story.
Here are five things you need to know today:
1) More rain!: Well, it was a wet and dreary day yesterday. And unfortunately, that weather trend is going to continue today. The National Weather Service expects clouds with a chance of showers today, along with a light wind. Temperatures will stay in the low-60s.
2) An easy way to give: When it comes to charity, sometimes our hearts are in the right place, but our wallet isn't. That's where Whole Foods comes in! Do your regular shopping at Whole Foods today and you will automatically be helping the Mystic River Watershed Association! Five percent of every sale today will benefit the organization, which is dedicated to the preservation and restoration of the watershed.
3) Event spotlight: Even though it's not that warm out, it is technically summer in the city of Woburn. And that means Cruise Night at the St. Anthony's Club! Join the Woburn Patch Readers' Choice winning club for cruise night every Tuesday this summer from 5 to 9 p.m. Raffles, music and more, cars and motorcycles are welcome.
4) In case you missed it: Woburn Patch is so much more than just staff writers presenting news and information. It's a place for all of you—our fantastic readers—to also make announcements, list calendar events and submit photos. Yesterday, we had quite a few announcements added to the page, including one about a Woburn youngster who shaved his head for charity.
5) Shots ring out in California: On this day in 1968, moments after his celebratory speech at the California presidential primary in Los Angeles, Robert F. Kennedy was shot three times. Five others were also wounded in the attack. Although RFK was taken to the hospital where he clung to life for 24 hours, the presidential hopeful succumbed to his injuries and died June 6. He was buried next to his brother, assassinated Pres. John F. Kennedy, Jr., at Arlington National Cemetery. The Los Angeles shooting was committed by Palestinian Sirhan Sirhan, who has been jailed since he was convicted in 1969. He has repeatedly been denied bail by the judicial system.
To find out what's going on today in Woburn, check out our events listings.