Five Things You Need to Know Today, Nov. 18
Sunshine is in the air!
Here are five things you need to know today:
1) Skies are gonna clear up: It may be a bit chilly, but at least we’ll have some sunshine today! The National Weather Service is expecting clear skies and temps in the low 50s today. Make sure to bring that scarf, you might need it!
2) Saturday event spotlight: The Brightview Country Club Heights on Rehabilitation Way will be hosting a holiday craft fair on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be 25 vendors selling knitted items, jewelry and other crafts. There will also be a raffle. Admission is free.
3) Sunday event spotlight: The Winter Market will be open at Spence Farm Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The indoor market will feature vendors from local food purveyors, as well as artisans. Admission is free.
4) In case you missed it: The Altavesta Elementary School is testing a new reading program with some of its students. Read all about the project here and find out more about the school’s literacy program.
5) The clearing of Jonestown: On this day in 1978, almost 1,000 people committed suicide at Jonestown—an agricultural commune in Guyana. The mass suicide came after a U.S. Congressman went to the commune to investigate. Leo Ryan and four others were killed as they left Guyana, after some of the Jonestown cult members asked to be taken back to the U.S. At Jonestown, Jim Jones preached to his church members for one last time, before they drank cyanide-laced Kool-Aid and died. Jones died of a gunshot wound to the head, which authorities believed was self-inflicted.
To find out what is going on today in Woburn, check out our events listings.