Five Things You Need to Know Today, Nov. 9
The Historical Society's restaurant raffle is on!
Here are five things you need to know today:
1) Another winner: The winning weather streak continues today, with more sunshine and warm temperatures! According to the National Weather Service, we’ll see mostly sunny skies, temps in the high 60s and a calm wind. But after dark, the rain clouds will sneak in with some cooler temperatures.
2) Restaurant raffle: The Woburn Historical Society is holding a special restaurant raffle during the month of November. Tickets are $10 each. The winner will receive $500 worth of restaurant gift certificates! The winner will be announced at the Society’s event at Woburn Memorial High School on Nov. 28.
3) Event spotlight: The Reeves Elementary School will hold its third annual multicultural dinner tonight from 6 to 7:30 p.m. The event is a way for families to share their cultural foods and traditions in a big potluck dinner.
4) In case you missed it: It was election day yesterday! You can catch up on all things election with our special Woburn Patch Election 2011 topic page here.
5) Destroying Boston: On this day in 1872, a large fire destroyed most of downtown Boston. Although firefighting units from Massachusetts, Maine and Connecticut battled the blaze throughout the night, the fire, which began in a warehouse basement at Kingston and Summer streets, did not end until the next morning. The fire destroyed hundreds of building and killed 14 people. But, in the aftermath, the city created a new fire prevention and firefighting system. The city also established the Financial District, which would become a key business area for Boston and the New England area.
To find out what is going on today in Woburn, check out our events listings.