Girls Hockey Loses in Shootout of Wild Semifinal Game
Woburn tied the game, lost the lead and tied the game again within the final two minutes of the game before losing in the 10th round of the shootout to St. Mary's on Sunday.
Sunday's Division 1 girls hockey semifinal was a 10-round slugfest. So was the shootout that eventually ended the Woburn High School season.
Though the top-seeded Lady Tanners twice tied the game during a wild final minute-plus of regulation, St. Mary's of Lynn eventually came out on top of a 10-round shootout to advance with a 4-3 win.
Trailing 2-1, standout forward Kayla Smith evened things up with a goal with 1:31 left to play. But St. Mary's recaptured the lead just 18 seconds later, seemingly sealing a berth in the state final. Erica Lissner, however, had other ideas as she extended the Woburn season thanks to the tying tally with 33.5 seconds to go.
After a scoreless overtime, the teams went to a shootout. Regulation wasn't enough there either, as the goaltenders kept things scoreless for nine rounds. In the 10th frame, St. Mary's finally cracked the scoreboard. Woburn couldn't match, and the bracket's top seed was eliminated.
"It was wild," head coach Bob MacCurtain. "I thought it was awesome how we fought until the end, didn't give up and gave ourselves a chance to keep playing. Our goal is to win the championship. I wouldn't call this season a disappointment. It's the first time we lost all year, and we did so in a shootout. It was a great season. I feel bad for the kids because they worked so hard to get to the finals and try to win a championship and we fell just a shootout short."
Are you a big fan of the Tanners? You'll also want to see:
- Emily Lissner Hat Trick Jolts Woburn Into Semifinals
- Girls Hockey is Final Woburn Team in Postseason
- Boys Hockey Playoffs Open Sunday for Tanners
- Jim Duran Leads Tanner Team Rich in Tradition
- Kayla Smith Hoping to Lead Tanners to Glory
- Winning is Contagious for MacCurtain's Lady Tanners
- Tanners Ready for Final Week of Regular Season Action
- Flibotte Coming Into His Own in Net for Tanners
- Boys Hockey Impresses During Tie With Reading [VIDEO]