What Is the City's Budget for Next Year?
Not big on budget discussions? That's OK. Here are five takeaways from the city's new fiscal 2013 budget.
Did you attend the City Council public hearing on the Fiscal 2013 budget? Don't worry, we have you covered! Here's what you missed...
1) The City Council approved a General Fund budget of $104,537,695.52.
2) The School Department budget is 49,184,366.00 (47 percent of the General Fund). The Police Department budget is $8,606,155.42 (8.2 percent of the entire city budget). Fire is $5,715,591.37 (5.4 percent).
3) The City Council removed $28,000 from the School Department budget. That money would have been used to pay for upkeep of the former Clapp School.
4) The City Council removed a "Manager of Information Systems" job from the budget. Aldermen voted 6-3 to eliminate the new position. Meanwhile, a "Wellness Recreation Director" was added to the budget, despite concerns from four aldermen.
5) The entire Fiscal 2013 budget is $121,607,130.89.