Woburn Resident a Member of Super 8 Team
Austin Prep's roster includes sophomore defenseman Kevin Kiley as the Cougars are in the semifinal of the prestigious hockey tournament.
Austin Prep may be located in Reading. But the Cougars rely on help from all across the region as they skate forward in the Super 8 boys hockey tournament.
The Cougars completed a sweep of Reading in the Super 8 quarterfinal series earlier this week, and the Cougars roster includes players with a wide variety of hometowns.
According to MassHShockey.com, the team includes Woburn resident Kevin Kiley, who has not cracked the scorebook this year. He is listed as a sophomore defenseman for the team.
Following the 1-0 victory on Wednesday night that capped the 2-0 series sweep, Austin Prep advanced to face either St. John’s Prep of Central Catholic in the semifinal round.
There are six seniors on the Austin Prep roster, and 15 skaters who are either freshmen or sophomores, so the best may be yet to come for the Cougars.
Head coach Louis Finocchiaro told Patch following the win over Reading that his team may be considered young by many, but they are playing beyond their years.
"Everyone has been saying we're young all year, but not anymore. We've matured," said Finocchiaro. "Playing in a big game like this against a senior-led team like Reading, they answered the challenge. They played well. They won two games against a great hockey team."
Are you a big fan of the Tanners? You'll also want to see:
- Emily Lissner Hat Trick Jolts Woburn Into Semifinals
- Girls Hockey is Final Woburn Team in Postseason
- Boys Hockey Playoffs Open Sunday for Tanners
- Jim Duran Leads Tanner Team Rich in Tradition
- Kayla Smith Hoping to Lead Tanners to Glory
- Winning is Contagious for MacCurtain's Lady Tanners
- Tanners Ready for Final Week of Regular Season Action
- Flibotte Coming Into His Own in Net for Tanners
- Boys Hockey Impresses During Tie With Reading [VIDEO]