Woburn Storm Central: Hurricane Irene
Hurricane Irene has already closed Sunday's Farmers Market in Woburn. Here's everything you need to know to stay safe in Woburn during the storm.
As we face Hurricane Irene, Woburn Patch will keep you updated with our Live Blog and Storm Central coverage.
Sunday, 4 p.m.—Woburn Police confirms that the day shift officers, who have been on duty since 7:30 a.m., will remain on into the "B" shift this evening. Several officers are out with various downed trees, limbs and wires throughout the city, assessing situations and waiting for NStar to repair the wires.
Lake Avenue was closed earlier this afternoon for at least an hour, while officers waited for NStar and the electric company made repairs.
The Department of Public Works is out in full force, clearing trees, limbs and other debris throughout the city.
Facebook users in the city have posted some areas are without power or without cable television in Woburn today.
No major incidents have been reported.
Sunday, 11:20 a.m.—Closings and cancellations updated below.
Sunday, 10:40 a.m.—Downed tree limbs were cleared on Bedford Road on the West Side, opening the road. Several DPW crews are on the road, clearing limbs and other debris.
Sunday, 9:55 a.m.—Department of Public Works Deputy Superintendent Tucker Quinn reports that there have been no "major" incidents this morning, but several downed tree limbs throughout the city.
If residents need shelter, Woburn Memorial High School will be the city's primary emergency center. The Malcolm White Elementary School is the back-up location, with the Senior Center available, if necessary.
This page will be updated as more information becomes available.
The National Weather Service has issued a tropical storm warning for Woburn and the surrounding area. Gov. Deval Patrick has also declared a state of emergency for Massachusetts, as of Friday.
- NEW: The Woburn Bowladrome is open today until 9 p.m.! Call 781-933-1709 to double-check before leaving the house.
- The Sea Dog is closed.
- The North Suburban YMCA is closed.
- The Woburn Public Media Center is displaying important Hurricane Irene information for residents and businesses of Woburn. Comcast: Channel 22; Verizon: Channel 45; RCN: Channel 15.
- At the Lutheran Church, Deacon Diane will be there today, but "if the weather is perilous, don't come."
- Today's Fitness Center is closing at noon today.
- The Farmer's Market has been cancelled for Aug. 28.
Stay with Woburn Patch for more information.
Important numbers and Web sites:
- In an emergency, dial 911
- Police Department: 781-933-1212
- Fire Department: 781-932-4560
- DPW: 781-897-5990
- National Grid power outages: 800-465-1212
- National Grid gas emergencies: 800-233-5325
- Comcast: 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278)
- Verizon: 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966)
- RCN: 1-866-TECH-RCN (1-866-832-4726)
- MBTA Anderson/Woburn station: service updates
List of cab companies:
- Checker Cab of Woburn: 781-937-6000
- Woburn Cab: 781-933-5000
List of tow companies:
- Tom's Auto Body: 781-935-7212
- Royal Towing: 781-939-5747
- Murray's Towing: 781-938-1439