First there was Black Friday, then there was Cyber Monday. Now there is a movement to create a new holiday called “Giving Tuesday.”
Celebrated the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, the event encourages people to support nonprofit organizations through charitable activities at the start of the holiday season.
Luckily, there are many ways you can help in Woburn and around the state. Here are just a few opportunities to reach out this holiday season:
• The Animal Rescue League of Boston is accepting donations to help their cause of rescuing animals and preventing animal cruelty, abandonment and neglect. Buy an ornament in honor of your pet for their holiday tree or give directly at www.arlboston.org/donate. Don't forget your local cats, helped by the Woburn Feral Cat Coalition.
• Several places around Woburn will be hosting collection bins for the U.S. Marine Corps’ annual Toys for Tots holiday drive. Drop off your donations at Toys R Us on Cambridge Road or the Kimball Court apartment complex.
• The Ahern Family Charitable Foundation will host its Ninth Annual Army-Navy Football Luncheon on Saturday, December 8 at the Scoreboard Sports Bar and Grill in Woburn, MA.
• The Glen Doherty Foundation is accepting donations to help them provide scholarships, subsidies, grants and gifts for special operations professionals and their families. The organization was started in memory of Glen Doherty, one of four Americans killed in an attack against the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya on Sept. 12, 2012. His mother is a Woburn resident.
• Throughout the year, the Woburn Council of Social Concern food pantry helps those in need. Donations are always welcome.
Know of some other places in the neighborhood or around Woburn where you can give back this holiday season? Tell us in the comments or tweet @WoburnPatch with the hashtag #givingTuesday.