Here are five things you need to know today in Woburn:
1) City holiday
Don't forget that today is Columbus Day. That means that there is no school for the Woburn Public Schools and City Hall will be closed. Never fear, the Woburn Police, Woburn Fire and Department of Public Works will be open!
2) Herbs as healers
The new Herbal Academy of New England, located at 120 Arlington Road, will host Andrea and Matthais Reisen tonight for a discussion on Herbs and Their Many Healing Properties. The event begins at 7 p.m. Find out more here!
3) How to keep up with Woburn Patch
We know that sometimes it can be hard to keep up with Woburn Patch. Sometimes your Facebook feed shows us, sometimes it doesn't. It even happens to those of us who work for Woburn Patch! So how can you keep up with us? Click here for some suggestions on staying up-to-date with your favorite website!
4) In case you missed it
On Friday, we posted a searchable database on presidential campaign contributions from Woburn and the state. Click here to check it out!
5) Headlines in history
Let's take a walk through Woburn's history, shall we? Some headlines in newspapers regarding Oct. 8 events in Woburn were:
- 1907—Weak From Exposure—A missing man is found in the woods.
- 1932—Woburn Child Critically Injured By Automobile—A seven-year-old boy is injured in an accident.
- 1932—Woburn Greek Held As Bombing Suspect—John Mehalis, 46, of 195 New Boston St. held in connection with the bombing of Judge Webster Thayer's house in Worcester.
- 1961—Woburn Church In 2d Phase of $60,000 Appeal—A church acquires land at the Routes 128 and 38 intersection.