Here are five things you need to know today in Woburn:
A quick preview of Saturday's "Weekend Events" shows that Woburn is ready to party for Halloween tomorrow! There will be several parties, including gatherings at Scoreboard Sports Bar & Grill, Sea Dog Brew Pub, Woburn Moose Lodge and American Legion Post 101. Make sure to check our Events for more information!
2) Raffle at Busa's
In addition to a wine tasting, Busa's is hosting a Breast Cancer Awareness raffle on Saturday. The complimentary tasting will be between 4 and 7 p.m. The winner of the raffle will be announced on Saturday. Click here to see what will be in the gift basket.
3) Clouds moving in
According to the National Weather Service's specialized forecast just for Woburn, we'll see some clouds moving in during the morning. But expect skies to clear gradually and temperatures to rise to the high 60s. Meteorologists—and Patch!—will be keeping an eye on Hurricane Sandy all weekend and into next week.
4) In case you missed it
Even amid reports of Hurricane Sandy, the city is ready for the Halloween Parade on Sunday and Halloween festivities on Wednesday. Check out our pieces on both by clicking the links.
5) Headlines in history
Let's take a walk through Woburn's history, shall we? Some headlines in newspapers regarding Oct. 26 events in Woburn were:
- 1923—Woburn Leather Plant Loss $60,000 in Blaze
- 1923—Sandbank Cave-In Buries Woburn Youngster—In Winchester.
- 1925—Rebuilding in Woburn Begins—A special meeting of City Council.
- 1926—Church Bell Weighing 4 Tons Stolen From Woburn City Hall
- 1939—Girl Missing; Physician Held—Report of a missing 16-year-old.
- 1942—Woman Principal Rescues Records in Woburn Blaze