Here are five things you need to know today in Woburn:
1) Trash pickup
Thanks to Hurricane Sandy, some were unsure about whether we'd go forward with trash pickup in the city today. According to Mayor Scott Galvin, trash pickup is going forward as planned on Tuesday. For all things hurricane, check in with Woburn Patch's Storm Central here.
2) Happy (Healthy!) Halloween
Have a little one who wants to celebrate Halloween a bit early? Stop by Whole Foods this evening at 5 p.m. for a party! There will be a costume parade and stops in every department for healthy treats. Kids will even be able to make their own dessert pizza.
3) Sandy sticks around... sort of
According to the National Weather Service's specialized forecast just for Woburn, the hurricane is behind us, but we will see residual effects on our weather. Expect temperatures to stay in the high-60s and more rain. Winds will die down to about 31mph gusts.
4) In case you missed it
Hurricane Sandy traveled through Woburn yesterday, and some of you shared your thoughts on our Storify stream, while others shared photos. It's still not too late to get your pictures uploaded. Just click here!
5) Headlines in history
Let's take a walk through Woburn's history, shall we? Some headlines in newspapers regarding Oct. 30 events in Woburn were:
- 1894—A Woburn Girl Missing—Annie Thompson, 21, was reported missing Oct. 22.
- 1923—Youths of 16 and 17 Held For Taking Woburn Auto—Winchester 16-year-old and accomplice stole Woburn car.
- 1925—Stolen Goods in Woburn Barn—Over $5,000 in stolen goods from Boston found in Woburn.
- 2010—Shelter Tails: Rescued Rabbits Fly To Massachusetts—Three bunnies join their new home in Woburn.