Here are five things you need to know today:
1) Heat wave: Our spring heat wave continues today with temperatures in the 80s! According to the National Weather Service, we may see some patchy fog before 10 a.m. and then the sun will come out. The high temperature is expected to be 81 degrees. What is it normally on March 21? Well, according to weather.com, the average high is 48 degrees and the record high is 66 degrees.
2) Girls’ hockey: There will be an tonight at the at 7:20 p.m. Join Coach Bob MacCurtain and Under-12 Girls’ Coach Colleen Sanborn for the skate.
3) Event spotlight: The rush of winning just never gets old, as proven by several elderly athletes profiled in the film “Age of Champions.” Join on Rehabilitation Way for a special screening of the film at 3 p.m. today.
4) In case you missed it: A tragic story from Florida has ties to Woburn. Alanna DeMella, the young wife and mother-to-be from Medford, was killed in a freak accident Sunday. A memorial gathering will be held at her church, on Wheeling Avenue, tonight.
5) ‘The Rock’ closes its doors: On this day in 1963, the infamous Alcatraz Prison in San Francisco is closed. ‘The Rock’ housed nearly 200 dangerous inmates in its maximum-security prison and was inescapable. Some tried to escape, no one succeeded. Known for its famous inmates, like Al Capone and the Birdman of Alcatraz, the prison has an almost mythic quality to it. In 1972, the island where Alcatraz sits was added to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Tours are given daily. Woburn Patch recommends if you’re going to be in the area, reserve a spot on one of the night tours—it’s an experience!
To find out what is going on today in Woburn, check out our events listings.