.

Historic Fire Was 20 Years Ago Today

A Halloween blaze injured 23 people in 1992.

 

A gas leak set forth an explosion and blaze that injured several people, including two firefighters, 20 years ago today.

The Woburn Nursing Home was undergoing plumbing work when the gas began to leak due to an error and exploded at 3:45 p.m., reported the National Fire Protection Agency. According to the NFPA, the explosion blew part of the building's roof into a nearby cemetery and started a fire.

The three-story building housed 101 elderly residents, who were quickly evacuated by firefighters, staff, neighbors and construction workers, said the NFPA. The building's 21 sprinklers were operational and helped keep the fire confined to the explosion area.

The fire rose to four-alarms and was extinguished by 5:15 p.m. Although it caused approximately $1.5 million in damages, no one died in the fire, said the NFPA.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »