The City Council opened three public hearings regarding North Woburn projects Tuesday, but all will need more discussion.
Alderman Mike Raymond told Woburn Patch Wednesday that although the hearings were opened, they were forwarded to the council's Committee on Special Permits.
Normally, public hearings are opened at City Council, forwarded to the special permitting committee, then re-opened at a later date with City Council. Also during that discussion time period, the Planning Board and Board of Appeals holds meetings on the matters (if necessary).
In August, some North Woburn residents were upset to learn that a CVS could be built on the current site of Mr. Charlie's ice cream shop, while that eatery would move across the street into the old Dunkin' Donuts spot in the shopping plaza.
Developers for the CVS project and Robert McSheffrey, owner of the Mr. Charlie's land, filed papers with the city to begin talks on the special permits needed to make the projects happen in August.
What are Mr. Charlie's and CVS asking?
According to the City Clerk's office, the following items are on the City Council's table regarding the Mr. Charlie's/CVS proposal:
- special permit to allow alteration of nonconforming use and structure to relocate Mr. Charlie’s, to allow for 47 parking spaces, and for alteration of existing nonconforming sign at 880 Main Street. (Petitioner: Robert McSheffrey)
- special permit to allow for the sale or rental of automobiles, trucks, truck trailers and motorcycles and for a Second Class Motor Vehicle Sales License, all at 880 Main Street. (Petitioner: Robert McSheffrey)
- special permit to allow for 1. Retail establishment greater than 15,000 g.f.a, and 2. Drive-up customer service facility, all at 1 School Street, 3 School Street, 13 School Street, 891 Main Street, 893 Main Street and 895 Main Street. (Petitioner: Main Street Woburn RX, LLC)
Current North Woburn Projects & Proposals
- Alzheimer residence—859 Main St.
- Four-family dwelling construction (town houses)—960 Main St.
- CVS—corner of School and Main streets (Mr. Charlie's location)
- 40B proposed project—1042 Main St. (also referred to as the Woburn Quarry)—project requests denied by the Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Condo project—1071 Main St.
- Condo project—859 Main St.