The Woburn High School football team came sprinting out of the gates with five straight wins to start the year. In order to continue that streak, the Tanners will have to overcome a formidable foe. Here are five things to know about this week's showdown with unbeaten Arlington.
1. Who, What, When and Where: Woburn travels to Arlington High School on Friday at 7 p.m. in a battle for first place in the Middlesex League Liberty Division.
2. Unbeaten Showdown: Both Arlington and Woburn enter the game tied for first place with a 5-0 record. The teams are tied for first place with Reading next in the standings with a 3-1 record. The winning team on Friday night will hold sole possession of third place.
3. Road to 5-0: To reach 5-0, Woburn has toppled Billerica, Burlington, Winchester, Lexington and Belmont. The Tanners have fared well offensively, averaging 28.4 points per game and allowing 17.6 points a contest.
4. Scouting the Spy Ponders: Arlington has had a slightly different road to 5-0. The Spy Ponders worked past Somerville, Medford, Reading, Belmont and Winchester while averaging 32.4 points per contest. The Arlington defense has been stifling, letting in a mere 13.0 points per contest. The Spy Ponders' offensive and defensive averages are both tops among the 12-team Middlesex League.
5. Up Next: The road doesn't get much easier after Friday's contest. Woburn travels to state title contender Reading next week before finishing its regular season schedule on the road in Winchester on Thanksgiving Day.