Friday, August 12, 2011
Project is "in final stages."
As the first day of school—Sept. 8—gets closer, the to-do list for the new Goodyear Elementary School is getting shorter. “We are in the final stages” of the school construction project, Patrick Saitta, president of Municipal Building Consultants, Inc., which represents the city on the project, told the school building committee Wednesday afternoon. The place looks “spiffy,” he said. Saitta expects the building inspector to issue an occupancy permit by Aug. 19, he told the committee. Among the projects that need to be finished: the gym floor, damaged by water when the air conditioning system was first turned on. Insurance will cover $175,000 of that cost, Saitta told the committee. The vendor responsible for the leak will pay the …
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Take a look back at the Goodyear School construction process through photos.
Throughout the school year, work has carried on at the site of the Goodyear Elementary School. Now, as the 2011-12 school year approaches, the school is just about ready to be turned over to the city. Take a look at the construction process through photos from Woburn Patch reporters.
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Furniture continues to arrive this week in preparation for occupancy permit.
Eleven pairs of feet trudged into the Goodyear Elementary School’s main entrance Wednesday afternoon, with not a hard hat in sight. Eleven people, including many members of the school building committee, took a tour of the building at this stage of completion. Patrick Saitta, president of Municipal Building Consultants, Inc., who represents the city on the project, led the tour. Hard hats were required during the construction phase of the project. Those days are over. Furniture continues to arrive at the school; students’ desks have been assembled in several classrooms. All the furniture should be in next week, Saitta said, by the end of July. All building systems are up and running, he said. On the ground floor, in one of the kindergarten…
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Take a photo tour of the building with Woburn Patch.
Students’ desks began to arrive at the new Goodyear Elementary School Monday, the next step toward the school’s opening. “We’re 98 percent there,” city Building Inspector Thomas Quinn Jr. told Woburn Patch Monday about the school project. The remaining 2 percent of the job involves furniture and fixtures, he said. The construction management company for the project, Gilbane Building Co., “pushed” and the building committee “worked to get this (project) delivered in a perfect way,” Quinn said. The punch list, or items that must be fixed or adjusted, is short, according to Quinn. Quinn took Woburn Patch on a tour inside the school Monday afternoon to see what this stage of the school project looks like. Boxes of unassembled furniture sat in…
Friday, July 8, 2011
Public tours to be held at new building; probably in late August.
Sometimes communities give people honorary keys to their city. A week from today, city officials will receive a working set of keys to a new public building: the Goodyear School. As of July 15, the contract date, “We’ll own the building,” Patrick Saitta, president of Municipal Building Consultants, Inc., which represents the city on the project, told the building committee Thursday afternoon. The building will be “substantially completed” by then, Saitta told the committee. “Substantial completion” means “a point in time when a building is ready for its intended occupancy,” Saitta explained to Woburn Patch. Saitta anticipates that a temporary occupancy permit would be issued about the same time, before moveable furniture, fixtures and …